Applies to versions of MerlinXL designed to run on Excel 2003.
When opening older versions of MerlinXL in a 64 bit OS you see the error message:
Compile error in hidden module
Example Error Message
This error is generally caused by an out of date version of MSCOMCTL.OCX
This file can be found in C:\Windows\SysWOW64
File dates before June 2012 are out of date and should be updated:
Use Excel 2010 or later.
Excel 2007 or earlier is no longer supported
Upgrade the version of MerlinXL to v2
Solution – Requires Local pc admin rights
1. Locate a pc in your organisation that does have an up-to-date version of the OCX file:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSCOMCTL.OCX dated on or after June 2012.
2. Copy this file and transfer it to the desktop of the affected pc
3. On the affected pc ensure Excel is closed and open CMD.exe (Run as administrator)
4. Unregister the existing OCX file using:
C:> regsvr32.exe /u C:\Windows\sysWOW64\MSCOMCTL.OCX
5. In File Explorer rename the file to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSCOMCTL.OCX.OLD
6. Copy the new ocx file from the desktop to the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder
7. In the cmd window reregister the ocx file with:
C:> regsvr32.exe C:\Windows\sysWOW64\MSCOMCTL.OCX
Open MerlinXL and check that the problem is resolved.
If you receive the error message:
Could not load an object because it is not available on this machine